Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Savvy Shopping Criteria in July's Marie Claire

I have to say the highlight of my day was lounging in a lawn chair on my front porch, sipping ice water, soaking up the southern sun, and of course reading my new Marie Claire. I found this issue to be quite insightful where my values of savvy shopping are concerned. What first caught my eye of course was the cover. The celebrity of interest this month was reality tv star and acclaimed writer, Lauren Conrad. Reviewing her story, I discovered she is very much a fan of the flea markets in Southern California. As well she should be! If second hand merchandise is that last thing you'd consider spending a few bucks on, you might wanna think again.  I'm a Goodwill, thrift shop, and antique store regular and what I find among the racks isn't always the Macklemore deer sweaters and fringe. While visiting California last month I couldn't help but check out one of the local thrift stores, which was teeming with potential finds.  One of which was a brand new pair of American Eagle jeans, size 4L, not always easy to find as you have to special order Long sizes from A&E, at least where I'm from.  But there they were and at a cool $5!  Back in my homeland, a few weeks ago I peeked around in a tiny thrift store located on the ground level of my moms work place.  My mother is always snatching up some excellent finds in there and just as we were about to leave, a long purple raincoat hanging in the storefront window caught my eye. I decided to try on the lovely thing which was actually made by Michael Kors. The fit was great and the sales associate told me I had once again stumbled upon another $5 dollar find and an unbelieveable one at that!  Besides being delighted to see someone of such celebrity status still shopping for second hand goodies, I was also intrigued by the article Big Girl in a Skinny World.  Here, writer Nicolette Mason gives some great advice on packing for vacation.  What I found particularly helpful was her tip on avoiding purchases specifically for your trip "A word of advice: Don't blow your budget on last-minute purchases you'll never wear again. (You'll kick yourself later.)" Lastly, kudos to MC for supplying readers with a pageful of sequined and rhinestoned garments and accessories all priced at under $100.  My first thought in seeing the page was Ok everythings $99.99 right? Not even! Of the 9 items displayed, only one piece was listed at $99.  The rest seemed pretty reasonable considering their makers. In addition to all of these savvy shopping aspects, the issue also contains several other articles that might be of interest to all you fashion forward, healthy living, latest beauty trend seeking gals.


No comments:

Post a Comment